Sunday, February 26, 2017

89th Academy Awards - final predictions

Now that I've seen every single Oscar-nominated movie (with one small exception that I will get to before the show tonight), I'm ready to make my final predictions.

Picture
La La Land

Director
Damien Chazelle - La La Land


Actress
Emma Watson - La La Land - this is a departure from my initial instinct a month ago, but I'm feeling confident in this choice.

Actor
Denzel Washington - Fences - this has been a tough back-and-forth for a couple of weeks, but my gut tells me that Casey Affleck has won most of the precursors, but will lose the big one.

Supporting Actress
Viola Davis - Fences

Supporting Actor
Mahershala Ali - Moonlight

Original Screenplay
Manchester by the Sea

Adapted Screenplay
Moonlight

Animated Feature
Zootopia - I think Moana is a better choice, but I'm going with the moneymaker.

Film Editing
La La Land

Production Design
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - I'm all over the place on this one. Do they go for the elaborate sets and designs of Fantastic Beasts? Does Hollywood pat itself on the back once again and go for Hail, Caesar? Does La La Land ride a wave of enthusiasm to an undeserved technical award? Or do the surprisingly minimalist sci-fi designs win out? I went back-and-forth on the first three movies. This was literally the last category for me to make a decision.

Cinematography
La La Land

Costume Design
La La Land

Original Score
La La Land

Original Song
"City of Stars" from La La Land

Makeup and Hairstyling
Suicide Squad

Sound Mixing
La La Land

Sound Editing
Hacksaw Ridge

Visual Effects
Doctor Strange

Foreign Language Film
The Salesman from Iran

Documentary Feature
13th

Documentary Short
Watani: My Homeland

Live Action Short
Ennemis Interieurs

Animated Short
Piper

No comments:

Post a Comment

How'd I Do? 93rd Academy Awards Nominations Edition

I got 36 out of 43 in the top eight categories. That's 83.7%. Getting 19/20 in the acting categories made up for the fact that I went on...